Read time: 40 seconds
Is there enough contrast between foreground and background colour?
Why it's important
- Rohit has low vision and needs content to have enough contrast to read it.
- Jonathan is red-green colourblind and can’t make sense of information conveyed with color alone.
Steps to take
- Don’t use colour alone to convey meaning. Use icons, text, and other visual elements to reinforce the meaning of the content.
- Test contrast between foreground and background. We use Vision Australia's Colour Contrast Analyser and WebAIM's Colour Contrast Checker.
- Quickly scan for colour contrast problems. We use aXe, SiteImprove's accessibility checker, and WAVE's web accessibility evaluation tool.
- Make sure you meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) AA.
- Video tutorial: Meeting contrast requirements (YouTube)
- Video tutorial: How I do an accessibility check for contrast (YouTube)
- Evaluate your colour combination (accessible-colors.com)